Keep your eyes open for information on our proposed 2017 show
Last year we held three competitions in the Gardening Marquee, Floral Arts (Adults and Children), Produce and a Cake Competition.
The Produce Show 2016 Results are:
Blind judging by Mr David Lock
3 carrots – 1st Martyn Bennnett 2nd Louise Oddie
3 onions – 1st Andrew Stone 2nd Martyn Bennett
5 potatoes-1st Andrew Stone 2nd Rhianne
2 courgettes- 1st Martyn Bennett No 2nd awarded
3 beetroot-1st Tom Walton 2nd Connor Walton
3 parsnips-1st Martyn Bennett 2nd Andrew Stone
5 tomatoes-1st Paul Rowley 2nd Simon Collison
5 runner beans 1st Mrs Richardson 2nd Rosemary Smith
5 radish -No entries
10 soft fruit-1st Paul Rowley 2nd Rosemary Smith
3 apples-1st Rhianne 2nd Mrs Richardson
3 pears- 1st Andrew Stone 2nd Mike KIngham
3 sticks rhubarb- 1st Mrs Richardson 2ndAndrew Stone
8 pods broad beans-No entries
2 leeks- No entries
Mustard/cress- No entries
Vase of 6 garden flowers- 1st Louise Oddie 2nd Rosemary Smith
Unusual vegetable- 1st Mike Kingham 2nd Mike Kingham
Floral Art Competition
A Flower Arranging Competition sponsored by Whittington Flower Arranging Society will be held in the gardening Marquee during the day.
Flower Arranging Competition
A Flower Arranging Competition sponsored by Whittington Flower Arranging Society will be held in the Produce Marquee during the day.
Schedule of Classes
Class 1: “A Trip Down Memory Lane” an exhibit which may include accessories
Class 2: “Transparency” An exhibit using glass or clear plastic
Classes 1 & 2 to be arranged on half a trestle table (Space allowed 90cm wide x 60cm deep, height unlimited). Table covering may be used but no back boards. Exhibits to be viewed from one side only. Exhibits may be arranged at home with final staging taking place in the marque.
Staging takes place between 7:30 and 9am and cleared 4:30 – 5:30pm
£1:00 per entry
1st prize £10 2nd prize £5 3rd prize £3
Junior – Flowers In A Tin Can
Would you like to enter a competition at the Whittington Country Fair ?
All you have to do is choose flowers, leaves from your garden, or a friend’s and arrange them in a decorated tin can [any size]
Bring them to:-
- The Produce Marquee between 7.30 to 8.45
- On Saturday September 3rd 2016
- Competition Entry Fee 50p
- Prizes: 1st £5, 2nd £3, 3rd £2
- Judging will take place between 9.00—10.30
- Collect your exhibits between 4.30 –5.30
The Judges decision is Final.
Cake Competition – Sponsored and prizes by Whittington WI
This year we are holding a Cake Competition in the Marquee for adults, both ladies and gents may enter. We are offering a specific recipe with clear baking instructions so even those with limited experience can have a go.
1 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
150g (6oz) chopped dates
50g (2oz) butter
100g (4oz) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
150g (6oz) self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
75g (3oz) brown sugar
50g (2oz) butter
75g (3oz) desiccated coconut
3 tablespoons single cream
1. Pour boiling water over the bicarbonate of soda and fruit and leave to cool.
2. In a large bowl place butter, sugar, egg and vanilla, cream together. Add flour and baking powder.
3. Mix in the date mixture, this makes a fairly runny constituency. Pour into lined 20cm (8inch) tin and bake at Gas mark 5, 170c (fan oven) 190c or 375F (conventional) for approximately 35 minutes or until well risen and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
4. To make the topping, cream the ingredients together. When the cake is cool pour over the topping and place under the grill, watch carefully.
Please contact Betty Gilbert 432705 if you have any questions.
Please have a go and bring your entries to the Marquee on the Showground by 9.30am on Sat 3 Sep 2016
Name………………………………………………. Entry Fee £1.00 (pay on the day)
Cake to be shown on a plate with a doyley
Entries to be brought to the Marquee on the Showground by 9.30am on Sat 3 Sep